Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Starting Scratchboard.


I played around with scratchboard a bit in art school but it wasn't until after I had graduated that I really took an interest in it. Among the first things I did in scratchboard were the Mr.Oblivious comic strips. There are certainly artists out there that use scratchboard as an elegant medium of great detail but I prefer to use it more like a chisel against stone. If things don't turn out exactly how intended all the better. 

When I would draw with pencil and paper it's was hard to not see all the flaws and compare myself with every other comic artist out there. With scratchboard, it's ALL flaws. It's never what I think I want and I'm forced to let all that other stuff go. 

I've taken a bit of a break from Mr.O lately but someday I'll get back to it. In the meantime, ALL 3 of my scratchboard Mr.Oblivious comic books for the Kindle on Amazon are now FREE through this FRIDAY. Behind the scenes sketches and comments for each cartoon. Check it out. Thanks!





No comments: